Sunday, February 2, 2014

Raccoon Foster Mommy

I am a federal wildlife rehabilitator for raccoons. I have always loved animals and just kind of fell into taking care of baby raccoons...in an attempt to save myself. 

A few years ago, I had just gotten laid off from a job that I had worked for 22 years. I felt tired, frustrated and lost. I needed something to do while I determined what I wanted for the 1/2 half of my life. I was tired of corporate America but what was I going to do? 

Long story short, I found a group in Texas called Metro Wildlife Rehabilitators who was saving the lives of baby animals. They fostered squirrels, bunnies, birds, and raccoons. This was something I could do....well something I wanted to do!

After speaking with several members, I met Debbie - a lover of all animals especially raccoons. The day I went to visit she had three little ones climbing on her and they were adorable!

Fast forward a few months, and September 2011 destroys my life as I know it. Eight months later, more lost than ever before - I once again visited Debbie and her raccoons. Her phone is ringing off the hook with more raccoon babies that needed to be cared for....before I knew it I was driving home with three little babies!


Willie 2.5 weeks old
bottle feeding the babies!





No comments: