Sunday, February 23, 2014

Lets Crochet!

My Godmother, Alfreda, taught me how to crochet when I was in 5th grade. In the years that I have crocheted I have made hundreds of blankets - but never really got past that level, because I never knew how to read a pattern, nor did I know the name of the stitches.  

However, in the past few years, with the help of friends and the Internet that has all changed. I am still unsure about most patterns but that has not stopped me!

The ruffle scarfs are very easy and take about 30 minutes to make. I tend to dress fairly plainly these days - but with jeans, a white tee - and one of these it works!


Ruffle Scarfs

Exodus 35:35
He has filled them with skill to do every sort of work done by an engraver or by a designer or by an embroiderer in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, or by a weaver - by any sort of workman or skilled designer. 



Kitchen Wash Cloths

Hot Pads/Trivet
Which Button?


So much to create, so little time!
  • Wash cloths
  • Purses
  • Face Scrubbie
  • Soap Savers
Beanie Hats


Little Purse

Soap saver bags are cute gifts and useful in that you do save on soap and don't need to use a washcloth. I wash them before I refill them with a new bar of soap.  

Making the soap savers taught me that I could create items with shapes, and corners. This lead me to make the hot pad/trivets. They are nice because they are two ply and sturdy.

As in life, one thing leads to another! I then wanted to make a little summer purse. I am very blessed, as most summers my best friend and I take a lovely beach holiday...and I don't want to drag around my normal purse. All I need is my money, Chapstick, and room key.  My dad and Emmy travel to my home for a short visit with me...and then they stay and watch my little zoo {Zeus, Isis, Salsa, Romeo, and Sweet Pea!} I am thankful that they are spoiled while I am away and trust me THEY LOVE GRANDMA, and grandpa - but she treats my pets better than I do!

I like making things that I will use and I love these little wash cloths. I first found them at Homestead Heritage {homesteadheritage.com} for about $12 for two. They are made of 100% cotton. I use them in the kitchen and bathroom.

Soap Saver, Face Scrubbies, Wash Cloths
  • Beanie Hats
  • Hot pads
  • Ruffle Scarfs
  • Coasters
What do you do with all the little bits and pieces of yarn you have left over? I am adverse to tossing out anything that I think I can use...and these little face 'scrubbies' take about 15-20 minutes and make use of the left overs. You can make the face 'scrubbies' - although they are soft, or you can make coasters that protect your table. 



The ideas are endless...I found most ideas/patterns on Pinterest but tend to use YouTube for the instructions - as I still struggle with reading patterns. Happy Crocheting!



No comments: