Sunday, February 2, 2014

Almost Raccoon Season!

It is almost RACCOON season! Two years ago I began rehabilitating baby raccoons, that had for some reason had lost their mother. It could be due to her being killed, or people finding babies in the attic. They call animal control to have them removed. If you find that a mother raccoon left her babies in your attic you can put a radio up there and play it loudly over night.  The mother will come back from hunting and remove her babies. That should be tried PRIOR to calling anyone. Before calling animal control google to see if you have a wildlife rehabilator  in your area. That would most like be less stressful for you and the animals. 




Ezra 10:4

Arise, for it is your task, and we are with you; be strong and do it. 






We feed them, clean them, cuddle with them, encourage them to swim and climb trees and that's just a start when working with baby wildlife. I am working under my friend, Debbie, who has a federal wildlife permit; I am a sub-permittee under her. She has been doing it I believe around 5 seasons. 


In 2011 around mid April I was visiting her and she had several sets of babies. Her phone rang a few times with more baby raccoons needing to be cared for until they could be released. Se asked if I wanted to do it...and later that afternoon I drove home with three 2 week old baby raccoons! So cute, so needing my care for several months and then would be released back into the "wild".

No comments: